If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace.

--Hamilton Fish

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Zyrtec, anyone?



I have a love-hate relationship with pollen.

First let me say that I love spring.  It's my favorite time of year.  When things just start turning green, the first daffodils begin to appear and forsythia bushes everywhere just burst with their yellow flowers, I absolutely love living in the South.  The birds won't leave me alone on the deck and my indoor dogs just want to lie in the yard and let the wind blow gently over them.

BUT.

Everything is yellow already.  The deck, my car, the outdoor furniture, EVERYTHING is yellow.  I can't touch anything or sit anywhere without wearing it.  My eyes itch and my throat is scratchy.  I feel like I have a sinus infection but I know it's just the pollen.  Even the dogs are transporting it when they come back inside.

Don't get me wrong.  I majored in Biology, and I completely understand the necessity of pollen.  It contains the sperm nuclei necessary for the continuation of the species that I love.  This green color all around me, the trees I would miss so much if I lived anywhere else in the world, none of them would be able to reproduce without the nasty yellow stuff covering everything I own.

However, I do feel that 3939 on a scale of, oh I don't know, 1-1500, seems a tiny bit excessive, don't you think??  I'm not making that number up; according to AtlantaAllergy.com, the pollen count for March 24, 2011 is really 3939.  Anything above 1500 is considered extremely high.  But 3939??  That's just crazy.

We have oak, birch, sweetgum, and mulberry primarily to thank for this yellow-tinted world we're living in right now.  But if you think about it, the alternative is dessert, and I'll take whatever causes my world to be green anytime.  And it won't last forever.

Soon it will be time for flower pollen instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment